DIANA : Her True Story - In Her Own Words

Cierra G. Rowe
June 14, 2018



I was quite excited to receive this particular book in the mail. As is the case with many of my books, I ordered it on impulse. Surprisingly, I had never heard of this title but once I laid eyes on it and skimmed through the brief summary, I knew that I had to have it. The binding was chic and simple, the title was intriguing and there were just enough pages to make me want to cop a feel. I was anxious to read all of the juicy details of Princess Diana's rousing life: her struggles, her experiences but above all, I was eager to read the truth.

With a chilly glass of wine in one hand and Her True Story in the other, I began my trek through Diana's hectic world. As I read and sipped and read I became nauseated, not from the wine, the wine was delicious, but from the sheer amount of narcissism and slant heavily sprinkled throughout this turbulent diary of sorts. I was not prepared for how tedious and disappointing this book revealed itself to be. I began with an open mind, and unbiased curiosity. I finished with a tired, regretful perplexity. Why the fuck did I spend money on this? I may as well have watched Mel Gibson's 'The Passion'. 

I wanted wholeheartedly to believe Diana: This magnetic woman who remains adored and mourned by millions across the globe and honored for her charities and charms. Unfortunately I couldn't. I didn't. This book is not the full truth and is filled with contradictions, exaggerations and outstanding idolatry. It was easy to spot her inconsistent statements and painfully obvious that she wanted nothing more than to paint herself as a tortured martyr.

With her dazzling smile bound around her story, she makes it easy to ignore the negative aspects of herself, but Diana had some serious issues and many of those had nothing to do with the Windsors. Like stories, there are two sides to every person. 



Quotes and pages that stood out to me:


''She recognized that her popularity was seen as a threat to the Prince of Wales by the 'men in grey' at the palace'' (p.353)

''In a parting shot she said: 'Expect a big surprise in the next 2 weeks.' Given subsequent tragic events, there has been much speculation about what she meant.'' (p.390)

''I always felt very different from everyone else, very detached, I knew I was going somewhere different but had no idea where.'' (p.36)

''I kept thinking 'look at the life they have, how awful'' (on Prince Charles and his brothers' life) (p.49)

''We fell in love gradually. It wasn't really dramatic. One blink and it would have gone.'' (p.53)

''My grandma always said to me: 'Darling, you must understand that their sense of humour and their lifestyle are different and I don't think it will suit you.'' (p.56)

Princess Diana confronts Camilla Parker Bowles (p.247 - 248)

Prince Charles wants to be Captain Hook (???)  (p.289)

''Why don't you rape someone else?'' (p.360)

''I like to live as normally as possible...'' (p.360)

''...magician John Styles took her wedding ring, placed it in a silk handkerchief and, with a flourish, made it vanish. Diana collapsed into a fit of laughter and cried : ''Good.'' (p.370)

'Her head tells her that she would like to be the ambassador to the world, her heart tells her that she would like to be wooed by an adoring billionaire,' (p.387-388)






Cierra G. Rowe is a fine artist who enjoys writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EYES WIDE SHUT

Miki Naoe - Solos (Nala Records 2021)